What is it?
Project Warm Us is just a way to get some much needed warmth to the homeless in Dallas, Texas. Our goal is to collect as many warm clothing items by Thanksgiving 2013. We will be collecting through mid-December, but we hope to get the majority in before Thanksgiving for early distribution. We are collecting the following items:
- Coats (Jackets, sweatshirts and sweaters are good too)
- Scarves, hats & gloves
- Shoes & Boots
- Socks (new only, please)
How can I help?
1) Donate your new or gently used items. Any gender, any size, adults, kids, it doesn’t matter. We need them all. The drop-off locations will be posted here as we identify them. Chances are you have some around you house that you could live without, or maybe you’d enjoy picking some up at Goodwill or yard sales.
2) Host a collection box. We are looking for individuals or organizations that are willing to host a collection box (translated: cardboard box for people to drop their coats and blankets in). Maybe your kid’s school, or your church, or favorite coffee shop, or your office, or your front porch? We’ll be listing all of our drop spots here on our web site, so it’s like free advertising with the bonus of doing the greater good.
3) Spread the word! The only way we’ll reach our goal is with a LOT of help. Please share this exciting adventure with your networks! We’ve got easy-sharing buttons right here at the bottom of this page. We also have spiffy little business-card-size flyers that you can print out and give to your neighbors, hand off to the drive-thru clerk when you get your fast food fix, leave in a retail restroom, you get the idea. Check ‘em out! It’s just that easy.
4) Pray! This is a big, crazy, audacious, God-sized goal. We’re pretty sure this was His idea. Please join us in praying for every need to be met.
Do I get a tax write-off?
This is not a non-profit organization, it’s just a couple of chicks with an idea to help the homeless, however you can get a tax write-off this year for cash donations. We are distributing most of our items through Our Calling in Dallas. Cash donation can be made securely online through PayPal.
How did projectwarm.us start?
It started something like this… ”Hey, I have a few coats I want to donate to the homeless. Do you know a good place?” Then it turned into, “How about if we both start collecting coats from everyone we know, see how many we can get and bring them down to Dallas in early November?” Of course, we couldn’t stop there. Now it’s, “Let’s set a radical goal of 5,723 coats and blankets! (The 5,700 is the approximate homeless ‘point in time’ count in Dallas and 23 is the day we started this idea) We can get businesses, churches and individuals to help us out. We’ll blast it out on social media and tell everyone we can!”
In 2011, we beat our goal of 5,723 by collecting 6,766!! In 2012, we collected a few thousand. We don’t have an exact number, as we were busy collecting instead of counting.
This year, our goal is just to collect as many as we can. It’s imperative that we spread the word, as our circle of friends’ items have mostly been depleted. Take a look at this video from 2011.
Contact Jody and Lin at firstname.lastname@example.org.