Where did that goal come from?
The 3,141 number is from the January 2015 homeless count in Dallas. The Metro Dallas Homeless Alliance conducts a survey each year to identify unsheltered homeless people in Collin and Dallas counties. Although this number is smaller than the actual number of homeless people in our area, we thought this would be a realistic goal to meet for coats, blankets and shoes.
What is most needed?
Socks, gloves and scarves are incredibly helpful in keeping our homeless friends warm, however our biggest need is for the coats, blankets and shoes. Her’s what we would like to collect in order of need:
- Men’s coats. We need all sizes, but the sizes we run out of quickly are L through XXL.
- Men’s shoes. Men’s shoes, size 11 and up run out by the middle of the day.
- Blankets. We don’t run out, but we give these out all winter long to men, women and children.
- Women’s coats & shoes.
- Children’s coats and shoes.
- Socks. We like new socks, however gently used, clean socks are great too.
- Accessories. Gloves, mittens, scarves and knit caps.
Please help us meet our goal this year by donating your unwanted items, by making a financial donation or by purchasing a few items for donation. Financial donations are tax deductible and every $2 counts as one item, as we can purchase military-grade blankets in bulk discounts.Drop Locations