I’ve been getting a lot of questions about ‘new or used’ stuff. New is fine here, but not necessary. As a matter of fact, I’m guessing 99% of the coats and blankets we collect will be used. The point here is to keep these people warm. Your blanket has a hole in it? Fine. You coat has a broken zipper? That’s okay. That coffee stain won’t wash out of your coat? Not a problem.
I’m doing a one year minimalist challenge. I’m getting rid of one thing a day for a year and blogging it. (rethinkgood.com) I haven’t posted the coats and blankets we’ve gotten rid of yet, but they’ll be on there in the next few days.
What can you do?
- Get rid of coats that don’t fit. This seems to be easy with kids coats, but it works for adult sizes too.
- Downsize your coat collection. Downsizing can be a difficult process, but also very freeing. I downsized my wardrobe by 50%!
- Clean out the linen closet. I guess I don’t have many linens, as my linen closet is filled with art supplies. Those blankets you haven’t used in a long time? They can be put to good use.
- Act now! Don’t wait. If we’re going to reach our goal, we need to start collecting large numbers quickly. Once we get them, we still have to organize them and transport them to the designated locations for distribution.
- Encourage at least one person you know to participate. If everyone that knows about this donates at least one coat, we would be in 4 digit numbers already. Imagine that times all the other people in the chain…
- Go shopping. At a thrift store. Buy a used coat or blanket to donate.
- Go to the ‘idea’ page on our site. Participate in something listed. And if you have some other ideas, share them with us so we can post them.
Thanks SO much for your help! Without people like you, we can’t do this. We can all make a difference! 🙂